For International Women’s Day 2016, Audra Mulken of The Female Farmer Project is promoting the social media campaign #ILookLikeAFarmer. Four years ago, Audra noticed how many women were getting involved in agriculture in her community and decided to document them. Her work has gained some serious steam and she’s now traveled across the US and Europe photographing these women and telling their stories through The Female Farmer Project.
From The Female Farmer Project website:
“If we’re going to make a BIG shift in how people think, we all need to work together to make others sit up and notice. So here’s my challenge to you….. Take a picture of yourself, or have someone take one of you, post it your social media accounts on Tuesday, March 8th – International Women’s Day.”
According to a 2015 study by the USDA about 31 percent of the country’s farmers are women and they collectively manage over 301 million acres of land. On an international level, women are the backbone of the development of rural and national economies. They comprise 43% of the world’s agricultural labor force, which rises to 70% in some countries.
See the gallery below of a small handful of the posts today for #ILookLikeAFarmer – show your support of these incredible female farmers following them and learning their stories.
For International Women’s Day we also want to recognize the amazing female Seeders and Feeders & Eaters in the LET um EAT Collective doing their part to make a difference in their communities, and beyond.
The Women Seeders & Feeders of the LET um EAT Collective:
- Melissa Mayer & Maylin Chavez – Olympia Oyster Bar
- Kathleen Bauer – Good Stuff NW
- Holly Robinson – Captive Spirits Distilling
- Joan Monteillet – Monteillet Fromagerie
- Jessika Tantisook & Alana Kambury – Starvation Alley
- Hannah MacDonald – Brasserie Four
- Jeannie Berg – Queener Farm
- Leila Schneider – Hayshaker Farm
- Chrissie Zaerpoor – Kookoolan Farms
- Charlotte Smith – Champoeg Creamery
- Chloe Hanson – Osprey Farm
- Jenn Louis – Lincoln Restaurant
- Nadine Basile – Mineral Springs Ranch
- Jessica Herzog – One Fork Farm
- Kara Gilbert & Elaine Walker – Vibrant Valley Farm
- Elizabeth Miller – Minto Island Growers
- Stacey Givens – The Side Yard Farm & Kitchen
- Hilary Craig – Piggyback Ranch
- Margo Liszka & Gus Gibson – Naked Acres
- Carol Boutard – Ayers Creek Farm
- Rachel Kornstein – Boondockers Farm
- Debbie Fields – Fields Farm
- Lane Selman – The Culinary Breeding Network
- Clare Carver – Big Table Farm
- Sue Hunton & Ellen Hunton – Hunton Family Farms & Camas Country Mill